EAP-TNC support in Hostapd's Radius Server vs. FreeRadius

Martin Schneider martincschneider
Tue Aug 26 05:39:43 PDT 2008

Hello everybody,

I want to setup a testbed for playing with EAP-TNC, precicely I want
to implement a new IMC / IMV pair for measuring some parts of the
operating system. On the wpa_supplicant / hostapd page I read, that
both applications support EAP-TNC. What I do not know for sure up to
now is, what parts of the TNC architecture are already included in
hostapd / wpa_supplicant and what parts are missing.

If I understand the homepages correctly, a TNC Client / Server and all
Interfaces specified in the TNC spec are available. So the IMC / IMV
part should be missing and the only thing for me to do is adding such
software to the existing implementations. Is this correct?

I have seen, that FreeRadius also supports EAP-TNC but the people
there told me, that the support is "very experimental". So my next
question is, if the EAP-TNC implementation in hostapd / wpasupplicant
is more stable and in a state that might be called "production ready"?

If "yes", I could setup a hostapd on a machine and use this one as an
Radius authentication server for other hostapds that work as a pure
Access Point?

Hope that anybody will confirm my thoughts or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for help,
Martin