Few doubts about ad-hoc devices

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Aug 22 06:22:08 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 09:09 +0530, Raghavendra wrote:
> [...]

No; how do you figure out the BSSID of the ad-hoc network that you need
know in order to join the network?  That BSSID is randomly generated by
the station that creates the network.  If the SSID isn't broadcast,
you'd need to probe-scan.  And since most drivers will just harvest
probe results and add those to the scan list, you've already lost
because now your network is visible.  Beacons are just _one_ place that
the SSID shows up in, so hiding the SSID from the beacons only solves
half your problem.  The SSID still needs to be sent in other situations.

Seriously, use encryption if you want privacy.  Hiding the SSID is _not_
privacy and simply causes more problems than it's worth.

Dan