Wpa_supplicant & netbsd-current & wi-driver

Sam Leffler sam
Sun Apr 6 11:33:38 PDT 2008

Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:27:29PM +0200, Risto Sainio wrote:
>

>> As I happen to have the documents for the chipset I started to modify the
>> driver and after a while I got it so far fixed that it scans, associates and
>> authorizes. This all is done by the 802.11 layer written for netbsd, that
>> means that I configured the card to run in hostap-mode and the 802.11-layer
>> sends/receives all necessary frames and runs its own state-machine.
>>

> This sounds somewhat complex way of using Prism2/2.5/3 cards in client
> mode.. In theory, you might be able to make this work, but Host AP mode
> is designed for AP, not client functionality.. I've seen number of
> firmware version specific issues in doing this.
>
> If you're main goal is to just make the client mode work with WPA-PSK, I
> would suggest using the standard client mode for this and fixing the
> driver to support this..
>

>> Now I am stuck with the 4-way handshake: namely the hostapd sends the first
>> EAPOL-message and it seems to me that when my card receives that dataframe it
>> replies with deauth reason:3.
>>

> That sounds like one of the main problems I had in using Host AP mode
> with certain firmware versions.. The firmware has some sort of
> bug/feature that ends up sending out deauth when trying to trick it to
> act as a client in Host AP mode. This does not happen with all firmware
> versions, though. I don't remember all the details, but I think this was
> something that worked with old firmware versions, but not new..
>

>> Now my question is: How can I tell the firmware that it is already associated
>> and authorized OR do I have to issue a JOIN request ??
>>

> I don't know whether there is such a mechanism in Host AP mode. You are
> trying to do something that the firmware was not designed to do.. If you
> want to avoid random tests and experiments to figure out what exactly
> the buggy firmware does, you would probably be better off using the
> standard client mode instead.

Look here:

http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/vap/sys/dev/wi

That's a working wi driver that does WPA (both sta+ap).  You want to use
monitor mode to scan and then operate as a sta using the normal firmware
support.

    Sam