wps_enrollee-20071029

Johannes Berg johannes
Wed Nov 21 15:57:46 PST 2007

[steps snipped]

That looks like it would be very usable from GUI programs like network
manager too.

> -- on success it gets a little more complicated... typically we will want to
> save the new configuration to a file for later use, and begin using it
> immediately as well, probably in preference to anything existing... but there
> could be exceptions...
>
> Also of course note that determining the ssid to use is best done by scanning,
> filtering the results to find those that are "wps ready", and getting user OK
> to proceed... presumeably this would use wpa_ctrl ...

As you said, I also think that most of the code to do WPS should be in
wpa_supplicant. I guess for testing there should also be a simple
command-line wpa_cli-like program that does the UI steps of wps and
simply outputs a configuration file to stdout or so. This could be used
in scripts etc., it would probably take the SSID, pin and other
configuration on the command line. Afterwards, the user would have to
take this configuration file and feed it back to wpa_supplicant.

On the other hand, when using network manager, the WPS command line tool
wouldn't be used but NM would instruct wpa_supplicant directly to do
WPS. That way, NM could offer a simple UI for doing WPS. Instead of
writing a config file it would store the settings and change the running
wpa_supplicant to use them if desired.

Right now there is probably no way to determine whether an AP is "WPS
ready" without changing the kernel API... But with nl80211 I'll probably
just embed the information elements in the scan result so userspace can
parse from it whatever it needs.

johannes