wpa_supplicant works on some occasions, but not others

Leslie Katz lesliek
Tue Nov 20 22:49:45 PST 2007

I am not skilled in the use of Linux, but was pleased yesterday to have
organised things in accordance with the relevant man pages for the
wpa_supplicant system, so that my laptop (running Damn Small Linux 4)
connected to my wireless access point (an Apple Airport Express).

Today, however, it wouldn't work. When I ran wpa_supplicant in debugging
mode and watched the output, I could see that, although a couple of
neighbours' waps showed up in the scans, the Airport Express didn't,
even though its name and passphrase were in my wpa_supplicant.conf file.

I know the Airport Express is working, because, at the same time as I
wasn't connecting to it in Linux, I was connected to it from a Windows
machine sitting beside my Linux machine. I got the Windows machine going
a couple of days ago and the wireless card in it came with its own
software. I recall that there was a box I had to tick when setting up
the wireless connection, which said something like, "Do you want to
connect to an access point that isn't broadcasting?" and I ticked the
box, because the Airport Express hadn't come up in a scan of available waps.

If the information above is sufficient to permit anyone to offer me some
clue as to how to proceed, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading this,

Leslie

--
Visit http://stumblng.tumblr.com
An Australian lawyer's tumblelog about things (some legal, most not) you