Installing HOSTAP on Fedora Core 6

Archana Rajagopal archana.gopal
Sat Nov 17 11:37:17 PST 2007

Thank you very much.I blacklisted orinoco_cs now and binded hostap_cs driver
in the /etc/pcmcia/config(where Linksys WPC11 was originally binded to
orinoco_cs)
Now its automatically loading hostap_cs but the card is not detected and
iwconfig says that wlan0 - no such device
Moreover when I boot the system it prints the following

"hostap_cs device wlan0 does not seem to be present.Delayinginitialization."

I am sure that Iam going wrong somewhere but could not find it.Please do
clarify.

Thank you.

On Nov 17, 2007 9:33 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 12:38:24AM -0500, Archana Rajagopal wrote:
>
> > 1) I compiled a custom kernel and booted it.It already had the following
> > modules loaded on boot:
> >
> > orinoco_cs,orinoco,hermes,hostap,hostap_pci,hostap_plx
>
> > 2)Now ,I created a new interface wlan0 (which again worked well for
> managed
> > mode) and added the line in /etc/modules.conf
> >                  alias wlan0 hostap_pci
> > 3)Now when I try to set Master mode on the interface (using iwconfig)it
> says
> >                      Set Mode : Operation Not supported
> >                      Set Frequency : Operation not supported
>
> It sounds likely that you are using orinoco_cs, not hostap_cs with your
> card. orinoco_cs does not support AP (Master) mode. If this is a PCMCIA
> card, you would need to use hostap_cs, not hostap_pci.
>
> --

Regards
Archana Rajagopal