wps_enrollee-20071029

Ted Merrill ted
Thu Nov 1 14:01:36 PDT 2007

Dan,

Thank you very much for the feedback.
Yes, Atheros' interest is for embedded systems, but changes to hostap tree
should of course work for a variety of systems.
I was unaware of the NetworkManager project until this point... i realize i
have knetworkmanager available (i'm using Kubuntu 7.10) but haven't used it
(i'm not a big laptop user).
NetworkManager should definitely be extended to support WPS because it makes
it so easy to get really good security!  just push a button on the AP, select
the AP from your gui, and a profile that includes a random 64 bit key is
downloaded.
WPS is new (last year) but should be part of every new AP that provides good
security (i.e. WPA2 ... anything less is broken).

I'm still trying to understand the Atheros Linux wps_enrollee program (i'm
learning as i'm rewriting it) so i'm not sure about whether it can coexist
with wpa_supplicant... i think not.
My prior experience was a wps enrollee implementation for a small Atheros
prototype product with a non-Linux o.s. (my message handling code from that
project was used for wps_enrollee program).
In that case, a menu on the device allowed the user to do the following:
-- Select the WPS security mode: pushbutton or PIN (and if PIN, have a PIN
generated for copy to AP or enter AP's PIN into device).
-- Scan to find an access point in the appropriate mode.
-- Begin the WPS protocol process.
Once WPS was begun, wpa_supplicant was allowed to continue running but was
forced to use a "open security" wlan profile as required for WPS.
(May need to use filtering during this time to allow only WPS packets
through).
All incoming network packets with the EAPOL ethernet type were diverted to the
WPS code, and EAPOL packets were sent by the WPS code.
The result was a new wlan profile which was saved in nonvolatile storage, then
wpa_supplicant was given all profiles and allowed to cycle through them to
find one that works... hopefully the one that we just obtained...

I would imagine that NetworkManager should provide similar user interface
features as the above mentioned device, although you could scan first (there
are some security issues in this case that have to be addressed).
NOTE that it is necessary to obtain and interpret the wps-specific information
elements from the beacons (in addition to the information that you must
already get from beacons to prepare the scan list).
One the SSID has been selected by user and WPS security mode (and PIN number
if required) has been given by the user, it will be necessary for you to tell
wpa_supplicant to forget any profiles it knows about (at least for the wifi
device you have been scanning on :~) and use an "open" profile.
You will need to learn somehow that association via the open profile has
happened, then begin the wps protocol, obtain the new profile downloaded from
the AP, store it in non-volatile storage, then tell wpa_supplicant to use all
profiles again (at least for this device :~).
An alternate approach would be to terminate wpa_supplicant entirely, run a
standalone program such as wps_enrollee (minus it's feature to auto restart
wps_supplicant), then start wps_supplicant again (assuming that
wps_supplicant handles only one network device).

I'm rewriting wps_enrollee to have a clean modular design (and fix bugs!) and
will keep your situation in mind.
Let me know if you have any/more questions.

Thanks,
Ted Merrill
Atheros Communications