Unsupported driver 'broadcom'

Jouni Malinen j
Mon May 28 07:24:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 11:15:56AM +0100, Andrew Bryant wrote:

> The card works on an unsecured network with the Broadcom driver
> extracted from bcmw15.sys using fwcutter.
>
> When I try to start wpa_supplicant   (wpa_supplicant.i386 1:0.4.9-1.fc6)
> # wpa_supplicant -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> -Dbroadcom -d
>
> the response is:
> Initializing interface 'eth1' conf
> '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'broadcom'
> ctrl_interface 'N/A'
> Unsupported driver 'broadcom'.

The wpa_supplicant binary you are using has been compiled without
support for the driver_broadcom.c driver wrapper. However, based on your
description of extracting the firmware from an NDIS driver, you are not
using a driver that would need this driver_broadcom.c. Most Linux
drivers are starting to support WPA with the Linux wireless extensions
and I would recommend using it here, too. In other words, just replace
the -Dbroadcom with -Dwext.