RTS/CTS not fully disabled?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon May 21 20:09:50 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:03:04PM +0200, ahuguet at cttc.es wrote:

> One of the things I've noticed is that some nodes try to use the RTS/CTS
> mechanism, even if the RTS threshold is set to off through the iwconfig
> command.

> Although, the a8:f5 node, tries one time and fails, tries a second one and
> fails, and then it starts a RTS/CTS mechanism with 2d:a4:1a.
> This shouldn't happen, and, it's also noticeable that upon reception of
> the CTS, the node doesn't react sending the packet, but stays in a loop,
> sending another RTS.
>
> This behavior is not particular of a8:f5 node, at each experiment, there
> can be a different node which behaves that way.

Which STA firmware version are the cards using? Is it different between
the STAs that use RTS/CTS and that don't? If I remember correctly, there
were some changes to rate control algorithm in the firmware and it may
have involved use of RTS/CTS in some cases. If the firmware versions are
different, I would assume this would be reason for the behavior you are
seeing.