Join request interval

Jouni Malinen j
Sat May 12 18:07:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:52:00AM +0100, Marco Fiore wrote:

> I saw that in the HostAP join request implementation
> a new
> request is ignored if there is a pending one.
> The minimum interval
> between two requests seems
> to be 10*HZ, i.e. 10 seconds.

I would assume you are referring to code in the beginning of
prism2_host_roaming() in hostap_info.c.

> Since a
> successful association takes just a few tens
> of milliseconds, I was
> wandering if there's some reason
> for this delay between two subsequent
> join requests.

It has been a while since I wrote that code, but I would assume that it
is there to guard against to join requests going on at the same time and
the 10 second time is just a timeout after which a new request can be
used even if the previous one has not been reported as completed.

When the request is completed successfully (which should be the normal
case), prism2_info_linkstatus() clear last_join_time and allow new
join requests to happen immediately. In other words, the normal case
should not have to wait for that 10 second timeout.