cant connect with wpa_supplicant using 802.1X on a wired connection (eduroam)

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Fri May 11 09:47:04 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 01:57:16PM +0200, Alexander van Loon wrote:
> I don't mean to be rude, but I'd appreciate it if someone could look
> here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411843 - at my commands
> and debug output

Try adding another -d to the wpa_supplicant command: you've posted the
output with -d, but I'm hoping you'll get more info with -dd.

It may also help to fire up Wireshark and watch what frames get sent
from (and received by) your machine while this is going on.  (Start the
capture before starting wpa_supplicant.) If there are any frames getting
captured, they won't use the IP protocol (they'll be EAPOL), which means
there won't be an IP address on them.  But they'll be addressed to the
EAPOL multicast group's assigned MAC address (01:80:c2:00:00:03).

Make sure these frames are going out, and make sure your kernel thinks
it's a member of this group when wpa_supplicant is in this state (by
checking /proc/net/dev_mcast) -- otherwise wpa_supplicant will never see
the responses, even if the switch sends them and wireshark sees them.
Last, double check what source MAC is on the response frames (if you see
any); I think some people have had issues in the past with a "strange"
source MAC on the responses to wired authentication requests.