Issues adding variables to local_info struct

Jouni Malinen j
Wed May 2 20:30:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:42:34AM +0200, ahuguet at cttc.es wrote:

> following the recommendations received through this mailing list, I've
> tried to declare variables that are interface specific, inside the
> local_info struct that is in hostap_wlan.h file.
>
> To that end, I edited the hostap_wlan.h file, and added:
>
> struct sk_buff *last_data_rx;
>
> just after struct net_device_stats stadevstats; inside the local_info
> struct declaration.

This seems fine.

> However, seems that something more has to be done too, as when compiling
> (no errors reported) and restarting the computer just so the new changes
> take effect, the card is not recognized.

I don't think this has anything to do with struct local_info change.

> Dmesg shows the following messages, regarding hostap_cs (I've a PC card in
> a PCI slot, through a PCMCIA-PCI adapter):
>
> [17179591.316000] hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol
> hostap_set_hostapd

My guess would be that the hostap_cs.ko and hostap.ko modules you are
trying to use are not from the same built.

> If I comment the line struct sk_buff *last_data_rx; and compile, the card
> is recognized again.

This sounds odd.. Are you sure that the modules were from the same build
in both of these tests? Please add the last_data_rx line and make sure
that all Host AP components are rebuilt (e.g., run 'make clean' and then
'make modules'). After this, make sure that none of the Host AP modules
are loaded (lsmod | grep hostap) and if any are, unload them with rmmod.
Finally, load the newly built modules manually with insmod from the
build tree just to make sure you are loading the correct version (insmod
drivers/net/wireless/hostapp/hostap.ko; insmod
drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_cs.ko).