is this a problem with madwifi?

Juergen Lemke lemke_juergen
Sun Mar 25 08:27:41 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

So I went ahead and got an Atheros-based card (Netgear
WG511T, using the 5212 chipset).

I am running wpa_supplicant 0.5.7 and madwifi 0.9.3. I
successfully compiled wpa_supplicant with support for
the madwifi driver. This is happening on GNU/Linux
2.6.18.1.

My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="NYU-ROAM2"
scan_ssid=1
# try running wpa_supplicant with -Dwext
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
group=WEP104 WEP40
auth_alg=LEAP
eap=LEAP
priority=2
proto=WPA
identity="mad438"
password="[my password]"
}

The config above is what I came up with given that I
was told this network has the following features:

- SSID are not broadcast
- uses dynamic WEP keys
- authentitcation is done using Network EAP
- encryption is WEP

Before running wpa_supplicant I set the ESSID on the
card to the network name (NYU-ROAM2):

# iwconfig ath0 essid NYU-ROAM2

A second call to iwconfig always shows

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"NYU-ROAM2"
     Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point:
     Not-Associated

Then I ran wpa_supplicant using the madwifi driver

# wpa_supplicant -iath0 -Dmadwifi
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d -d

I attached the output. For some reason the
authentication is timing out. Also, the following gets
printed on the console at intervals while
wpa_supplicant runs:

Along the way, the following shows up on the console:

ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument
ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument
ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument

Is it the madwifi driver or wpa_supplicant that are
causing this problem?

Thank you for any help you can provide me with.

All the best,

Juerg