version 4.9 hostapd returns segmentation fault on IXP425 ---Gatework 2348

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 20 19:22:32 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:45:55PM -0700, hong zhang wrote:

>   Version 4.9 hostapd will cause segmentation fault sometimes on IXP425--Gatework 2348 board. The chance is 50%. When I run "hoastapd ap_conf", it returns following even after I do "echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment". See following errors message,
>
>   Bad mode in data abort handler detected: mode IRQ_32
>   Internal error: Oops - bad mode: 0 [#1]
>   Modules linked in: wlan_ccmp wlan_acl wlan_tkip wlan_xauth wlan_wep ath_pci ath_hal ath_rate_onoeCPU: 0
>   PC is at 0xffff0204
>   LR is at zz002db51c+0x44/0x3b4 [ath_hal]

I've tested hostapd on ixp425, but have not seen something like this
show up. Then again, I haven't tested it with madwifi driver on ixp425.
This kernel oops looks more like an indication of a bug in the kernel
driver (maybe in ath_hal module) than an issue in hostapd.. Have you
tried using this device as an AP without hostapd (e.g., in plaintext
mode and configure the interface with iwconfig and ifconfig)?