"IOCTL_NDISUIO_OPEN_DEVICE failed: 31" on WinCE

Vijay Kumar P vijaykumar57
Mon Jun 25 03:55:11 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am trying to port the WPA supplicant for the WinCE platform, since there
is no Official version

available on the site.

I have compiled the WPA supplicant, using the defns "_WIN32_WCE" and the
"CONFIG_USE_NDISUIO".

I see the code is split for Win32 and WinCE. Correct me if I am wrong, the
WinCE sections make use of

the NDISUIO calls and the Win32 sections use the WinPCAP and WMI calls.

When I run the code wpa_supplicant.exe on the WinCE,

In the function wpa_driver_ndis_init(), the call to the function
wpa_driver_ndis_adapter_open(),

the DeviceIoControl() call with the param IOCTL_NDISUIO_OPEN_DEVICE fails
giving the following error:-

"IOCTL_NDISUIO_OPEN_DEVICE failed: 31"

It looks the NDISUIO does not allow two apps to perform the open device on a
Adpater at same time.

And when the WZC is active the native Windows Supplicant automatically gets
the access first to

the adapter, leaving the other apps no access or control ??? (this is my
guess)

I tried disabling the WZC, it doesn't work either, I am assuming the NDISUIO
calls to the WiFi Adapter

requires that the WZC be active.

How to get pass this error, should we disable the native windows
supplicant(if yes, How?) to run the

wpa supplicant?

Is there any other missing step. I am using HP IPAQ (Windows Mobile 5.0,
Smartphone edition).

For the WPA supplicant port to the WinCE, are there any additional steps or
instructions.

The following is the full log:-

==============================================================================================================

Initializing interface 'HPWIFIDVR1' conf 'wpa_supplicant.conf' driver
'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'

Reading configuration file 'wpa_supplicant.conf'

Line: 2 - start of a new network block

ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=6):

73 79 6d 62 6f 6c symbol

key_mgmt: 0x1

eap methods - hexdump(len=16): 00 00 00 00 19 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00

phase2 - hexdump_ascii(len=13):

61 75 74 68 3d 4d 53 43 48 41 50 56 32 auth=MSCHAPV2

identity - hexdump_ascii(len=8):

74 65 6d 70 75 73 65 72 tempuser

password - hexdump_ascii(len=7): [REMOVED]

Priority group 0

id=0 ssid='symbol'

Initializing interface (2) 'HPWIFIDVR1'

EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED

EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE

EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE

EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED

EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0

EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0

*** wpa_driver_ndis_init() ***

*** IFNAME : HPWIFIDVR1 ***

NDIS: 0 - WWAN1 - WWAN1

NDIS: 1 - HPWIFIDVR1 - hpwifidvr1

NDIS: Interface name match

NDIS: Adapter description prefix 'hpwifidvr1'

*** wpa_driver_ndis_set_wzc for WINCE ***

NDIS: Disabled WZC temporarily

*** wpa_driver_ndis_rebind_adapter for WINCE ***

NDIS: Requested NDIS rebind of NDISUIO protocol

*** wpa_driver_ndis_adapter_open ***

*** drv->ifname : HPWIFIDVR1 - IFNAME : HPWIFIDVR1 ***

NDIS: IOCTL_NDISUIO_OPEN_DEVICE failed: 31

NDIS: ifname - hexdump_ascii(len=20):

48 00 50 00 57 00 49 00 46 00 49 00 44 00 56 00 H_P_W_I_F_I_D_V_

52 00 31 00 R_1_

Failed to initialize driver interface

Failed to add interface HPWIFIDVR1

Cancelling scan request