wpa_supplicant: authentication timeout problem

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jun 20 20:19:14 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 12:08:26AM +0200, Thomas Schulz wrote:

> How do you plan to achive roam within some milliseconds?
> According to my experiences a full EAP-TTLS-PAP authentication takes
> 180..250 milliseconds, a reauthentication with only 4WAY_HANDSHAKE for
> keys takes 70..100 milliseconds.

Couple of milliseconds is going to be very hard to reach.. Though, these
numbers at least for 4-way handshake are quite large. If there is enough
CPU power (e.g., any modern laptop) and both the client and AP has a
good implementation, 4-way handshake should be possible to implement
within couple of milliseconds or well, lets say in less than 10 ms.
Full EAP-TTLS will take considerably more time especially if the server
certificate is large. Though, this could be improved a lot by using TLS
session resumption if the same authentication server is used.