Ad-hoc mode with WPA/WPA2 according to IEEE 802.11i

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jun 1 17:16:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:09:42AM +0200, Rafael Uetz wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any way to use Ad-hoc mode (IBSS) with
> WPA/WPA2 as described in IEEE 802.11i or if this is intended for later
> releases of wpa_supplicant/hostapd. According to 802.11i, STAs negotiate
> pairwise keys using a 4-way-handshake and every STA creates its own
> group key.

The current wpa_supplicant version allows a shared TKIP or CCMP key to
be configured in a way that was described in WPA specification (i.e.,
_not_ in the way defined in IEEE 802.11i).

Support for IEEE 802.11i way of doing this (multiple pairwise
negotiations) is not yet supported, but it is on the to-do list.
However, it will also need driver changes, so it is not enough to just
add wpa_supplicant support for this. I'm not aware of any Linux driver
that would have support for this at the moment..