Problems: associating ipw3945 wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Feb 19 17:01:40 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 06:23:18PM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:

> hardware: ipw3945

> network={
> 	ssid="Hotel NoName"
> 	key_mgmt=NONE
> 	auth_alg=SHARED
> 	wep_key0="5570441089532"

Hmm.. Is this AP configured to require Shard Key authentication for WEP?
Have you been able to use WEP with Open System authentication with
other APs? I've done very limited testing with ipw3945 and have never
tested Shared Key authentication with it, so I do not know what kind of
behavior to expect from it.

Have you tried associating with this AP using just iwconfig?

> It seems that it is associated:
> wireless  unassociated  ESSID:"Hotel NoName"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:04:0E:95:B3:37

That "unassociated" text does not look very associated to me.. My first
guess would be that the client is trying to associate, but fails in
Shared Key authentication before association.