HOSTAP question.....

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Feb 14 19:45:34 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:41:34PM -0500, thomas chen wrote:

> however, if i do a
>
> iwconfig wlan0 essid "foobar" channel 6 mode master
>
> i can see that mode is master with iwconfig command, but on spectrum
> analyzer, there is NOTHING....
> at all

Did you set the wlan0 interface up (ifconfig wlan0 up)? If not, the card
is not fully enabled.

> however, i am not sure whether hostapd (0.5.7)  is actually doing the
> right thing
> becuase there is
>
> hw_mode=b
> channel=3
>
> in hostapd.conf file, but the signal is showing on channel 6 (probably
> set by iwconfig earlier)...

I do not think that the Host AP driver interface would actually support
channel configuration. This was added for Linux net/d80211
(driver_devicescape.c). With Host AP driver, you will need to configure
the channel first with iwconfig.

> furthermore, the CLIENT PC cannot seem to make the association.....

That is of course not expected.. What kind of security configuration are
you trying to use? WPA? WEP? No encryption at all?