wpa_supplicant-0.6.1 IBSS Mode

Christian Fackroth Proger
Tue Dec 18 09:43:33 PST 2007

Hi,

my task is to implement real IBSS mode in wpa_supplicant. The first step to compile the test_wpa.c I have already finished. Now I will test the WPA-NONE mode of wpa_supplicant but it don't work. I use the madwifi driver and configure two stations as follows:

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode adhoc
sudo iwconfig ath0 essid test-adhoc channel 6
sudo ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.x up

After the cells are merged I can transfer data between the two stations. Now I start wpa_supplicant on the stations with the follow configure file:

network={
        ssid="test-adhoc"
        mode=1
        frequency=2437
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
        pairwise=NONE
        group=CCMP
        psk="schluessel"
}

The connection can't established because wpa_supplicant show the message "... skip - no WPA/RSN IE" when it scanning. So my question is what do I wrong? Also it will be nice if somebody have additional hints for me which make it easier for me to realise my task.

I found in driver_wext.c in line 970 a instruction which makes in my mind no sence.

"if (wpa_driver_wext_set_mode(drv, 0) < 0) {"

Why is the driver always configured in managed mode? But I'm sure this is not the reason why WPA-NONE not work. ;-)

Regards,
 Christian