When will wpa supplicant 0.6.0 stable version get released?

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Dec 16 18:44:55 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 07:38:05AM +0530, Raghavendra. S wrote:

>   Can any body tell me when will 0.6.0 stable version will get
> realeased.

0.6.0 will never be released as a stable version, but some later 0.6.x
version will (or well, maybe it will end up being renumbered to 1.0.0 at
that point, but anyway). However, I do not have a good estimate on when
this would happen. In theory, I would like to get this released soon,
but in practice, there is still number of open cleanup tasks that I
would prefer to get into bit more complete state before declaring 0.6.x
stable (which would also mean locking down many of the APIs and prevent
the planned cleanups in this branch).

> Also can I start using 0.6.0 in my device? Whether its
> going to harm in some way. or its better to wait for stable version
> release.

That's something that you will need to decide for yourself depending on
the exact requirements of the project. I'm using 0.6.x versions in my
daily use without any problems and I think that some Linux distributions
are also using something from 0.6.x branch.

If you want to play things safe and be more conservative, the latest
stable branch may be the best choice. However, if you need some new
features that are only available from the development branch, you may
have to consider using the development branch (or be prepared to
backport some of the features to an older branch).

In general, I expect wpa_supplicant development branch to be suitable
for general use all the time since my policy is not to commit partial
changes there. The main reason for having a separate development branch
is in having no limits on what kind of cleanup can be done. For example,
I just changed one of the internal APIs (EAP method interface) that
resulted in huge number of small changes throughout the code. This is
something that I won't be doing in stable branches, but still, the
change itself is not expected to bring much instability from the view
point of just using wpa_supplicant binary.

The main "instability" comes from the view point of maintaining external
changes. This is going to be very much more work if done against a
development branch.