Connection and data exachenge in open/clear mode

Rodolfo Giometti giometti
Mon Apr 2 01:46:25 PDT 2007

On Sun, April 1, 2007 4:09, Jouni Malinen said:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:05:59PM +0200, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to run hostapd in clear mode. Using this configuration file:
>
>>    wpa=1
>>    wpa_passphrase=rodolforodolfo
>>    wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>>    wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
>
> Those statements are quite confusing.. What exactly do you mean with
> "clear mode"? The configuration here is trying to use WPA (encryption)..

With "clear mode" I mean "unencrypted mode". Above was my working
configuration. I'd like to know if both using "wpa=1" or "wpa=0" hostapd works
correctly.

> Which version of hostapd and madwifi are you using?

madwifi 0.9.4
hostapd 0.5.7
wpa_supplicant 0.5.7

> You can use wpa_supplicant and hostapd for unencrypted connections, but
> in case of madwifi driver, you do not need to. The driver can take care
> of this itself.

What do you mean with "The driver can take care of this itself"?

I'd like using roaming on these devices and in order to do it I need both the
"level 2 update" messages implemented by IAPP in hostapd and (probably) the
wpa_supplicant roaming support since the client may have no madwifi device at
all. Again, the madwifi driver has __by default__ the roaming feature
disabled!

My configuration is:

             192.168.4.1

   192.168.4.2 ----+---- 192.168.4.3
         |                     |
         ^                     ^

             192.168.4.4

Machines 4.2 and 4.3 are madwifi APs connected by a switch while 4.4 is a
generic STA (for my tests I'm using a madwifi STA but this is not a must for
the final product).

In this scenario I think I need hostapd in order to support IAPP protocol and
(hopefully) the WPA, and wpa_supplicant to support roaming on different wifi
devices. Is that correct?

Regards,

Rodolfo Giometti

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    giometti at enneenne.com
Linux Device Driver                             giometti at gnudd.com
Embedded Systems                     		giometti at linux.it
UNIX programming                     phone:     +39 349 2432127