what happened to the anonymous cvs repository?

Pavel Roskin proski
Sat Sep 30 23:10:36 PDT 2006

Hi, Jouni!

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 16:51 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 06:21:49PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> > The CVS server was up yesterday.  Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
>
> Yesterday? Well, maybe in some time zones. The server I used for
> hostap.epitest.fi died on Thursday and I had to move the pages to
> another server. Both the CVS pserver and Bugzilla are down at the
> moment because of this.

Well, I guess I was too sleepy on Friday :)

> However, taken into account how much extra effort is needed for setting
> up CVS pserver in a secure way, I don't think I will be doing it again.

I'm not sure you have seen this (just the first hit on Google for
"secure pserver"):

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Secure-CVS-Pserver/

It doesn't look terribly hard to me.

> Especially so, since I'm likely to stop using CVS for new development in
> the near future.

That's a good idea, but it would be great to keep uninterrupted access
to the revision history while it's happening.

> If someone knows of a server that provides pserver output and allows one
> to use rsync to upload the CVS repository, I could consider using
> another server for this. If not, we may have to live without pserver and
> I could just make the raw cvsroot directory available for downloading to
> allow CVS to be used locally elsewhere in the same manner as pserver
> (i.e., to get updates from my repository).

Packed CVS repository is good for tracking old bugs, but it's not as
good for tracking recent changes, which is a much more common use of
public CVS.

I'm not aware of the sites that can accept whole CVS repositories on the
regular basis (as opposed to the initial import).

I think following may work:

Convert wpa_supplicant and hostapd to git and put them on kernel.org.
These are important Linux utilities, I think they would be welcome
there.  The rest of the CVS repository doesn't really change as much, so
it could be available are releases only.

Another approach would be to convert the repository to Subversion and
put it on SourceForge or gna.org.  Use SVK to synchronize your
repository if you prefer to have the master repository locally.

SVK used to be very hard to install due to massive Perl dependencies,
but now it can be installed on Fedora 5 or 6 (development) by simply
running "yum install perl-SVK"

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin