wpa_ctrl_open: Address already in use

Andrea Scharfe schmedi
Tue Sep 19 07:21:41 PDT 2006

Hi there,

I am doing automated configuation using wpa_cli.
>From time to time I get the following error:

wpa_ctrl_open: Address already in use
and the wpa_cli configuration command does not reach the supplicant.

I also get this when doing manual configuration with wpa_cli.

Example:

wpa_cli -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_add eth1 "" wext
/var/run/wpa_supplicant
OK

wpa_cli add_network
Selected interface 'eth1'
0

wpa_cli set_network 0 key_mgmt NONE
Selected interface 'eth1'
OK

wpa_cli set_network 0 pairwise NONE
Selected interface 'eth1'
OK

wpa_cli enable_network 0
Selected interface 'eth1'
OK

<supplicant is connected>

wpa_cli remove_network 0
Selected interface 'eth1'
OK

wpa_cli -g /var/run/wpa_supplicant-global interface_remove eth1
Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: Address already in use

So, when doing automated configuration this is a bit annoying as the
supplicant is not configured like I would like to have it.

Have you got any idea what the problem might be?
Adding a sleep command between the single commands did not really fix
the problem.

Cheers,

Andrea