Control to shift time for sending beacon frame

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Oct 8 19:44:50 PDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 06:03:50PM +0200, dipankar Biswas wrote:

> I know, this work is much more hardware depended and lower MAC layer of
> 802.11, time synchronization functionality (TSF). Without much knowledge, I
> started work with madwifi and I implemented (customized) the idea but
> because of close code of HAL (hardware abstraction layer) from atheros, I
> could not do following stuff.

I would be somewhat surprised if hal itself would be preventing this,
but that's more of a question to madwifi list.

>   1. to initialize hardware beacon state, I had to give beacon interval
>   in TU unit, but in my research, I needed to send beacon millisecond (ms)
>   unit interval

IEEE 802.11 does not support such a time measurement.. This is in TU and
what you are trying to do does not sound like something that would fit
well into IEEE 802.11..

> I want to try with HostAP driver and ultimately port to some embedded box
>
> My question, is it possible to overcome above two problems without having
> any code (or microcontroller) from vendor?

I would say that you would be much more likely to get this working with
madwifi and Atheros hw that Host AP driver and Prism2/2.5.3 hw/fw.