what happened to the anonymous cvs repository?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Oct 8 19:39:49 PDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 02:10:36AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I'm not sure you have seen this (just the first hit on Google for
> "secure pserver"):
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Secure-CVS-Pserver/
>
> It doesn't look terribly hard to me.

Well, I've done it before, so I know what exactly is needed.. I just
don't think that I would be doing this for the current server I'm using.

> > Especially so, since I'm likely to stop using CVS for new development in
> > the near future.
>
> That's a good idea, but it would be great to keep uninterrupted access
> to the revision history while it's happening.

Revision history is and has always been available. Question is more on
whether it will continue being available by using CVS pserver and the
answer to this seems to be "no".

> Packed CVS repository is good for tracking old bugs, but it's not as
> good for tracking recent changes, which is a much more common use of
> public CVS.

It should work fine for that, too. Just download a snapshot of cvs repo
and checkout your local copy from. Then re-sync the cvs repo snapshot
and 'cvs update' from there.. More or less same results as doing this
directly against pserver.

> Convert wpa_supplicant and hostapd to git and put them on kernel.org.
> These are important Linux utilities, I think they would be welcome
> there.  The rest of the CVS repository doesn't really change as much, so
> it could be available are releases only.

git is much easier, since it can be made available over http without any
extra servers or modifications needed.. Anyway, I haven't yet decided
whether I want to continue maintaining 0.{3,4,5}.x in git or keep them
in CVS only (and just move new development in 0.6.x to git).

> Another approach would be to convert the repository to Subversion and
> put it on SourceForge or gna.org.  Use SVK to synchronize your
> repository if you prefer to have the master repository locally.

It will likely take years till I would even consider using SourceForge
again after the availability issues of the past.. I'm not familiar with
gna.org, so I don't know what kind of policies it has on new projects.
Anyway, after having tested SVK once, I don't think I would be using
that either. In other words, I would much rather prefer being able to
just rsync the repository somewhere in CVS format and only consider
about other changes when deciding to move future development into
another format.