Slow wireless

Tom Simes simestd
Mon Oct 2 13:00:01 PDT 2006

On 02 Oct 2006 15:27:52 -0400
Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> wrote:

> I have a problem with my hostap wireless network -- it's too slow.
>
> The card is only an 11Mb/s WMP11 but still that should be plenty for
> my needs. Instead I'm seeing a maximum of about 300kbytes/s when I'm
> sitting directly beside the access point. And when I move to the next
> room I see it around 80kbytes/s (actually it jumps around quite a bit
> between 40kbytes/s to 110kbytes/s).

> What other information would be helpful for me to figure out what's
> holding this network back?

My first guess would be interference of some sort.

Have you done a survey looking for nearby access points?  You might
start by turning off your access point and using Kismet (or another
sniffer) to conduct a quick survey and pick a channel.  Remember that
the channels only have 5 Mhz separation, but each uses 22 Mhz total
bandwidth.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00802846a2.html

Also, any chance you have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone?

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com