Some questions

Juuso Alasuutari iuso
Wed May 17 02:45:35 PDT 2006

Hello. I have a few questions that I haven't found answers for in the docs.

I use wpa_supplicant's wext driver for an ipw2200 wifi adapter. If I already
have an unencrypted or static WEP connection up when I start wpa_supplicant,
the link is cut off although iwconfig still claims to be associated. The best
I can do is use wpa_cli to add and enable a network with the same options, so
wpa_supplicant will connect to it and the link is reestablished.
Does this happen with all adapters and drivers? Can wpa_supplicant "adopt" an
existing connection on start? If not, would you consider adding such an
option? (Writing a script that parses output from iwconfig and automatically
adds a network with wpa_cli would work, but I don't like the idea.)

In the the example wpa_supplicant.conf it is said:
"WPA-None requires following network block options: proto=WPA,
key_mgmt=WPA-NONE, pairwise=NONE, group=TKIP (or CCMP, but not both), and psk
must also be set."
Does that mean proto must be _exclusively_ WPA (and nothing else), key_mgmt
exclusively WPA-NONE, pairwise exclusively NONE, and group exclusively CCMP
or TKIP? Or is it okay if the required options are included among others,
e.g.: proto=WPA RSN, key_mgmt=WPA-PSK WPA-NONE, pairwise=TKIP NONE,
group=TKIP WEP40?

The documents do not (imho) state which network block options are applicable
via wpa_cli. Can all of them be set using 'wpa_cli -i<interface> set_network

Do the answers to these questions apply to both the stable and devel version
(0.4.9 and 0.5.3) without difference?

Thanks in advance.

--
        Juuso Alasuutari