Need Multi-Auth Information

Prasenjit Manna pmanna
Wed Mar 22 22:04:01 PST 2006

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:49:08PM +0530, Prasenjit Manna wrote:
>

>>I want to know some informations regarding How multi-auth works in wired
>>setup.
>>1. What is the destination address of EAPOL packet? Is this unicast or
>>group address?
>>

>IEEE 802.1X requires that the PAE group address (01:80:c2:00:00:03) is
>used as the destination address in wired Ethernet networks.

I think this is for single-host or multi-host mode. But multi-auth mode,
except the first packet from
either of the side(supplicant or authenticator),  all the other
communication should be unicast.

>>    In single-host mode, Authenticator sends EAPOL-Request/Identity
>>packets to wire.
>>    The same this is applicable here for multi-auth mode? If it is like
>>this, then what will be the destination
>>    address of the first packets from authenticator?
>>

>All EAPOL frames will be sent to the same group address, so this
>requires that there are separate ports (e.g., switch ports) that the
>authenticator can use for each supplicant.

I am assuming a scenario, where one switchport and multiple clients are
connected through a hub.
Whoever(client) has authenticator, they will get the access to the
switchport. This is I am talking about
multi-auth mode.