supplicant under WinXP

Ruzsinszky Attila ruzsinszky.attila
Wed Mar 22 09:53:49 PST 2006

Hi,

Bryan Kadzban ?rta:
> (I'm assuming you meant to copy the list on your last message...)
I think my messages remained private. :-(
I pushed the reply button and now I can see no more e-mail address
except yours.
Do I have to explicite address the list?

>>> The SMC card should work (since the driver reports WPA-PSK
>>> capability, it should be able to to TKIP encryption, and AFAIK
>>> wpa_supplicant handles everything else).  But the Senao card might
>>> have issues if its XP drivers only support WEP.
>> It is very interesting, because SMC network program knows only WEP
>> and WPA-PSK. But it is a good news in your opinion it will work!
>
> Well, wait...  If you're talking about the supplicant programs that came
No!
I talked about M$ drivers not about wpa_supplicant.

> with the drivers, then that's not an "upper" bound on the encryption and
> authentication protocols that the card can support.  The Senao card, for
> instance:  if the program that came with it only has an option for WEP,
> that doesn't mean that the card's firmware can't do TKIP, just that the
> program that they provided can't do the 4-way handshake.  (Or that the
> driver isn't advertising that capability.)
It is very interesting!
I'm confused now. :-(
The card is same:
- under Linux, with wpa_supplicant, I can connect my AP with WPA TKIP
TLS. So the card is support it. (I upgraded its firmware as I read on
the Net.)
- under M$ XP SP1 it doesn't work neither its driver or wpa_supplicant.

> To find out for sure what capabilities the driver is giving Windows (and
> therefore what encryptions it's capable of under wpa_supplicant), try
> firing up the XP supplicant and adding a preferred network "manually".
> Look at the options under authentication; if WPA and WPA-PSK are there,
> then the card's driver is advertising support for them.  If only "open"
> and "shared" are there, then the driver is only advertising WEP.
This is the situation. :-( No WPA!

I understand where is the problem then. Linux is working, XP not. Card
is the same. So the problematic part is the driver which was supplied
by card?

Back to your advice for SMC card...
It is working! ;-) Both under Linux and XP SP1! Nice.

Only problem, with my hidden SSID doesn't work.
I tried out ap_scan=0,1,2 parameters. Only ap_scan=1 is good for me,
and unhidden SSID! Is this correct?

And here is some other error notices:
D:\wpa_supplicant-windows-bin-0.4.8>wpa_supplicant -i
\Device\NPF_{C8940014-8714
-4DD0-A851-560BCCAD89C6} -c wpa_supplicant.conf
Trying to associate with 00:14:bf:xx:xx:x (SSID='mySSID' freq=2xxx MHz)
Associated with 00:14:bf:xx:xx:x
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-STARTED EAP authentication started
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:n
ested asn1 error
OpenSSL: pending error: error:140C800D:SSL
routines:SSL_use_certificate_file:ASN
1 lib
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wr
ong tag
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:n
ested asn1 error
OpenSSL: pending error: error:0D09A00D:asn1 encoding
routines:d2i_PrivateKey:ASN
1 lib
OpenSSL: pending error: error:140CB00D:SSL
routines:SSL_use_PrivateKey_file:ASN1
  lib
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-METHOD EAP method 13 (TLS) selected
CTRL-EVENT-EAP-SUCCESS EAP authentication completed successfully
WPA: Key negotiation completed with 00:14:bf:xx:xx:xx [PTK=TKIP GTK=TKIP]
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:14:bf:xx:xx:xx completed (auth)

TIA,
Ruzsi

Ps: Do you know PCMCIA card which is working perfectly under
SuSE >=9.0 and at least M$ XP?