wpa_supplicant socket error

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jun 11 09:48:23 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 07:44:45PM +0200, Fabio Sangiovanni wrote:

> Another question: I have some problems associating my AP when it's set
> not to broadcast SSID. I've read around on the internet and on this list
> that other users have the same problem. Why does this happen? Will
> future versions of wpa_supplicant resolve the issue?

The main problem here is that the scan results do not include the
correct SSID unless the client knows that it needs to probe for a
specific SSID.

As far as I can tell, wpa_supplicant supports this and no additional
changes would be needed for it. However, not all drivers support this
properly. There are two alternative ways of handing this:

- set ap_scan=2 in wpa_supplicant.conf and allow driver to take care of
  AP selection

- set ap_scan=1 and add scan_ssid=1 into a network block to request
  per-SSID scanning

Not all drivers support these (some support one, others the other, some
neither, and some both..). In other words, I would recommend trying both
and if neither works, I would report this to driver developers.