madwifi + hidden SSID

Fabio Sangiovanni sangio.f
Sun Jun 11 05:16:14 PDT 2006

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to get a working setup of madwifi + wpa_supplicant with an
Atheros based nic (d-link G520) on a Slackware 10.2.

I've read on this list that not all the drivers support AP scanning, so
wpa_supplicant can't associate to the AP (with hidden ssid) if the
driver hasn't this feature.
What about madwifi? Both with ap_scan=2 and with ap_scan=1 + scan_ssid=1
I didn't get it working on startup, but if I set an ssid manually with
iwconfig, all works perfectly.

The only solution to the problem seems to be launching wpa_supplicant
with the parameter -D wext, so using wireless extensions' ioctl instead
of madwifi's.
ap_scan=2 works perfectly this way, and the nic associates *very* fast.

I'd like to know from you if there's a way to use -D madwifi with hidden
SSID (in this case it would be just a problem of my configuration), or
if madwifi doesn't support ap scanning at all.

My wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
ap_scan=2