Using wpa_supplicant with rt2500 driver for auto-roaming

John Buttery john
Wed Jul 5 23:07:38 PDT 2006

  I'm not sure this is really a hostap-related question, but this page:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/

  ...suggested that this mailing list is "recommended for general
questions about wpa_supplicant", so here I am.  :)

  Anyway, I want to make sure I'm using wpa_supplicant for something
it's even intended to do in the first place, before I put any more
effort into trying to make it work.  I have a wifi card in my laptop
now, that works fine.  I originally installed waproamd because I wanted
to set it up so that my wireless networking would automatically bring
itself up as I roamed between different access points (both open-access
ones, and protected ones for which I have keys/passphrases).  Then, as I
was reading the docs for waproamd, it told me it was obsoleted by
wpa_supplicant.  Anyway, I can do all this up/down/reassociate stuff
manually now...I just want to automate it, and from what I can tell
wpa_supplicant is the best tool for the job.
  My guess was that I should use the "Linux wireless extensions" driver
on the wpa_supplicant command line...this is what I get (sorry if this
is a bit long; I'm not sure what's relevant).  "GuestAccess" is the
ESSID of the access point I'm trying to associate with; it's wide-open
(ie, no WEP/WPA/etc).  The return of the prompt at the end of the output
is the result of my having pressed Ctrl-c.

# wpa_supplicant -i ra0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
Trying to associate with 00:13:19:31:9c:30 (SSID='GuestAccess' freq=0 MHz)
WEXT auth param 6 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWGENIE]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 0 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 1 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 2 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 3 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 10 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
WEXT auth param 8 value 0x1 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
Association request to the driver failed
Authentication with 00:00:00:00:00:00 timed out.
[...]
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
#

--
  John  ! Since this email isn't signed, you can't really tell it's from
 Buttery! me; I'll hopefully have my computer working normally again