Prism2 usb and wpa

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jan 25 20:14:33 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:24:12AM +0100, Michael Gross wrote:

> I want to connect my laptop computer to a wpa protected wlan. So far I
> have been using the wlan-ng driver, but that does not enable me to use
> wpa, so I tried to install hostap since it is mentioned by
> wpa-supplicant to be a valid driver for cards with prism2 chipsets.
> The hostap Readme states that hostap does Not support the usb versions
> of  prism2.5 and prism3 cards. It does not, however, mention
> prism2_usb cards as being unsupported. The question is: does hostap
> work with my prism2 usb card, and if it does, what do I need to do to
> get it running (is there a howto?) - and if it does not, is it planned
> to be working in the next version of hostap, or do you know how I
> could get wpa support with this card?

Host AP driver does not support any Prism2/2.5/3 USB cards. If I
remember correctly, USB interface was added in Prism 2.5, so I would
assume your card is not really Prism2, but Prism2.5 or Prism3 -based.
Anyway, it is not supported.

In theory, there is a to-do item for adding USB support to the Host AP
driver, but in practice, it is unlikely that at I would have time to do
that. I don't know whether there are any plans on adding WPA support
into linux-wlan-ng.