wpa_gui

Richard W. Knight rick_knight
Mon Jan 16 14:17:04 PST 2006

Gary Vollink wrote:

>Richard W. Knight wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to make wpa_gui get a dhcp assigned address when it makes
>>a wifi connection? I have wpa_supplicant-0.4.7, ipw2200-1.0.10 and
>>ieee80211-1.1.8 installed and working, but it seems a bit cimbersome.
>>

>There are multiple other products that deal with hotplug. If you are
>using Debian - I would suggest ifplugd or laptop-net.
>

>>If
>>I can scan with wpa_gui and connect but then not have to drop to
>>terminal and sudo dhclient eth0 it would be much simpler.
>>

>It's the UNIX way, use smaller, more specialized programs, and chain
>them together to make something much more powerful.

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is, I don't want the wireless
connection to be made whenever it's available. Sometimes I need to be
wired. I would like a way to easily connect the wireless connection when
I'm not wired but to ignore the same connection when I am wired. I
thought it would be easy to have the wpa_supplicant running as adaemon,
but not connecting until I choose to connect and then have whatever is
making the connection, also get the address via dhcp.

Any other suggestions? or am I just missing something.

Thanks again,
Rick Knight