Netgate 200mW card and hostap for power modification

Vikram KAUL vkaul
Tue Jan 10 17:13:08 PST 2006

I had sent this out a few days ago. Heard nothing. Anyone has any
pointers/help

Thanks

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Vikram KAUL wrote:

vkaul>
vkaul>I recently purchased a Netgate NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2
vkaul>Long Range Wireless Card after reading it to have a 200 mW capability on
vkaul>SeattleWireless.net
vkaul>http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison
vkaul>
vkaul>The link took me to this Prism2.5 based card
vkaul>http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=43
vkaul>which does point to hostap for linux support
vkaul>
vkaul>Now, when I used
vkaul>iwpriv wlan0 writemif 62 128
vkaul>
vkaul>to configure HFA3861_CR_MANUAL_TX_POWER register (CR31) to its highest
vkaul>value (=128), I expected to get a confirmation of the configuration by
vkaul>iwconfig to show 23.1 dBm (=200 mW)
vkaul>
vkaul>But it never goes above 100 mW (=20 dBm)
vkaul>
vkaul>Additionally, the received power at a 'receiver' running iwspy to the card
vkaul>is about 25 dB weaker than a Linksys WCF12 CompactFlash using hostap and
vkaul>same commands to control power
vkaul>
vkaul>Has anyone encountered these problems ?
vkaul>
vkaul>Additional questions:
vkaul>--------------------
vkaul>
vkaul>1. Are there some studies on the correlation between CR31 (=Manual Tx
vkaul>Power Control) and CR58 (Measured Tx Power). Under what confitions, if any
vkaul>are they the same.
vkaul>
vkaul>2. Is it possible that this is a firmware issue ? Is there a way to query
vkaul>the firmware to check the limits on power ?
vkaul>
vkaul>Thanks in advance
vkaul>HostAP mailing list
vkaul>HostAP at shmoo.com