HostAP adhoc Problem

Pavel Roskin proski
Tue Jan 3 12:50:56 PST 2006

Hello!

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 12:05 +0000, Rubens Marins wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have the following setup.
>    Slackware 10.2, kernel 2.6.13,1 Agere (Orinoco) card , 2 Senao Cards.
>
>    I need to use one card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Version
> 01.01", in Ad-Hoc mode
>    and others "INTERSIL HFA384x/IEEE Version 01.02" ( Senao), in AP mode.
>
>    When i load the driver everything goes fine, the Agere card works
> fine in Ad-Hoc, but
>    generating a lot of erros in dmesg like:
>
>    wifi0: hfa384x_get_rid - RID len mismatch: rid=0xfd51, len=2 (expected 6)
>    wifi0: hfa384x_get_rid - RID len mismatch: rid=0xfd51, len=2 (expected 6)

That's because RID 0xFD51 is dBmCommsQuality for Intersil firmware and
CurrentUsedRates for Agere.  HostAP only works properly with Intersil
firmware.

>    Even when i not transfer data, it's  almost 1 error message per second.
>
>    When i  try to load the orinoco_cs driver first, the driver loads
> the Senao cards too, and
>    i want to use the hostap_cs with the senao.
>
>    So , i can imagine two solutions:
>
>    1 - Tells to orinoco_cs driver dont deal with senao, but only with
> the Agere card, so
>    after load the orinoco_cs  i can load the hostap_cs driver and
> everything will go fine.

It's better to tell hostap_cs not to deal with cards it doesn't support.
Please find and comment out this line in hostap_cs.c:

PCMCIA_DEVICE_MANF_CARD(0x0156, 0x0002),

This line shouldn't be there.  There is no corresponding entry in
hostap_cs.conf.

Once hostap_cs is fixed, you can load hostap_cs and then orinoco_cs.

>    2 - Fix the problem with the agere/hostap in ad-hoc mode.
>
>    Someone can help with this problem or have any tips??

I think it's not worth the trouble.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin