wpa/winxp/peap, hostapd+madwifi - no response to EAP Identity?

Rusty Chris Holleman reverendbean
Mon Jan 2 10:19:41 PST 2006

I've made some progress - I failed to mention that the client is a Linksys
 WMP54G pci card.  The standard Linksys driver and WinXP supplicant
 did not do so well, but the config utility from Ralink gets farther through
 the process.

 I now get stuck at messages from SSL that appear to be saying the
 client does not like the certificate.  I'm going to research this some, but
 if anyone knows the particular cause of this kind of error do tell.

 thanks,
 Rusty

 output from hostapd:

 ath0: STA 00:0f:66:e6:89:e9 IEEE 802.1X: received EAP packet (code=2 id=105 len=17) from STA: EAP Response
 -PEAP (25)
 IEEE 802.1X: 00:0f:66:e6:89:e9 BE_AUTH entering state RESPONSE
 EAP: EAP-Response received - hexdump(len=17): 02 69 00 11 19 81 00 00 00 07 15 03 01 00 02 02 2e
 IEEE 802.1X: 00:0f:66:e6:89:e9 REAUTH_TIMER entering state INITIALIZE
 IEEE 802.1X: 00:0f:66:e6:89:e9 REAUTH_TIMER entering state INITIALIZE
 EAP: EAP entering state RECEIVED
 EAP: parseEapResp: rxResp=1 respId=105 respMethod=25
 EAP: EAP entering state INTEGRITY_CHECK
 EAP: EAP entering state METHOD_RESPONSE
 EAP-PEAP: Received packet(len=17) - Flags 0x81
 EAP-PEAP: TLS Message Length: 7
 SSL: (where=0x4004 ret=0x22e)
 SSL: SSL3 alert: read (remote end reported an error):fatal:certificate unknown
 SSL: (where=0x2002 ret=0x0)
 SSL: SSL_accept:failed in SSLv3 read client certificate A
 SSL: 0 bytes pending from ssl_out
 SSL: No data to be sent out
 SSL: Remote end sent a fatal alert - abort handshake
 EAP-PEAP: TLS processing failed
 EAP-PEAP: PHASE1 -> FAILURE
 EAP: EAP entering state SELECT_ACTION
 EAP: getDecision: method failed -> FAILURE
 EAP: EAP entering state FAILURE
 EAP: Building EAP-Failure (id=105)