WPA_Supplicant used with CCKM.

Renaud Roques r.roques
Thu Feb 16 08:17:49 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 03:50:54PM +0100, Renaud Roques wrote:

>> My goal, is to use CCKM protocol for fast secure roaming.

> CCKM is a proprietary protocol with no publicly available
> documentation.. WPA2/IEEE 802.11i adds somewhat similar functionality
> with PMKSA caching and RSN pre-authentication. These are both supported
> in wpa_supplicant.

In which version of wpa_supplicant is it supported ?

>> Is it simply possible to do "classical roaming" with WPA_Supplicant?
>>Again,
>> with which version?

>What do you mean "classical roaming"? You can move from one AP to
>another, if that was the question..

By "classical roaming", I was meaning of reducing the time of moving from
one AP to another. Now, when I lose connection to the AP, I'm losing
approximately 5 seconds for searching a new AP and then one or two seconds
for authenticating to the new one. I have two main goals : reducing these
two times.
One solution to reduce the time of authentication is CCKM.
Do you have a solution to reduce the time of research ? Is there a specific
configuration of wpa_supplicant?

>> Does anybody try this before? I know that one solution would be to buy
>>the
>> DeviceScape software, but isn't there another way to proceed?

>Devicescape is a CCX licensee, so they can add CCKM-like proprietary
>features to the supplicant. I'm not aware of other ways of using CCKM
>with wpa_supplicant.

Thank you !

Renaud.