Madwifi-NG + hostapd + RSN

thomas schorpp t.schorpp
Tue Feb 7 15:33:59 PST 2006

Leonardo Maccari wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:09:31PM +0100, thomas schorpp wrote:
>
>>use madwifi-old from old cvs repository, see below. maybe they patched something in the svn repository.
>

> well I hope that is they have patched something they have done it for
> good.. :)
>
> anyway I've got old cvs source and results are disappointing as well.

:( sorry have no clue...

>>ask madwifi.org. i wont change *anything* until i can replace it with the future driver from ath-driver.org
>

> what are you exactly supposed to change? I was not complaning at you, I
> was just asking if there exist a stable combination.

misunderstood. i just said i wont change my running system ;)

>>i cant mourn with madwifi-old and hostapd rev 0.4.7:
>

> i see...
>

>>the peer was a macos tiger g4 powerbook, other peers not logged here are winxpsp2 or linux wpa_supplicant.
>

> ugh! also wpa_supplicant ones?

yes. but using wpa_supplicant with madwifi there were problems with eap reauth.

>>#network 192.168.2.0
>>wireless_iwpriv_mode 3   <--- 811g, i remember i tweaked here, but such a iwpriv command was added to the debian wireless-scripts lately.
>

> I have same chipset of yours but a 11b client so I set it to 0.

old client? that may be a problem... try updating firmware/windos driver if any.

>>tom3:~# lspci
>>0000:00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
>

> lautrec:/home/leonardo/src/madwifi# lspci
> 0000:00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

that says nothing. this is only a once reported general identifier.
some manufacturers change even chipsets in future versions withput changing pci id.

> so. so it seems that more than a madwifi issue it could be something
> between madwifi and client software/hardware. one last thing, kernel
> 2.6.15 comes with WE 19, is that what you're using? you wrote something
> about it before I didn't really understand.
> Anyway i'll try with different client hardware.

tom3:~# iwconfig --version
iwconfig  Wireless-Tools version 28
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v11 to v19.

Kernel    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v19.

ath0      Recommend Wireless Extension v13 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v19.

tom3:~#

latest debian package (hopefully).

> ciao,
> leonardo.