wpa supplicant and ipw (and wext) driver with wpa/tkip

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Mon Feb 6 15:26:42 PST 2006

Nicolas Guillot wrote:
> network={
>         ssid="WANADOO-B8D9"
>         scan_ssid=0
>         proto=WPA
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         pairwise=TKIP
>         group=TKIP
>         psk="1CD484A4B17C30EA7B1F840F4D"
>         priority=5
> }

Does it help to set group=WEP104?

> WPA: Unsupported TKIP Group Cipher key length 13 (13).

I don't know for sure what cipher it's looking for without having the
hexdump of the WPA IE, but that key-length is way too short for TKIP.
It sounds about right for WEP104, though (104 bits is 13 bytes).

(It'd be nice for security if you could set the group cipher to be TKIP,
because otherwise broadcast packets can be decrypted quite easily.
Perhaps this is an option in your ISP-provided AP?  Not sure whether
they'll let you configure the AP, though.)