is wpa_supplicant possible on bridged interface?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Feb 5 16:47:49 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:43:53PM +0100, Markus Krieger wrote:

> is there a way to tell wpa_supplicant that the given interface is part
> of a bridge setup like the "bridge=" option for hostapd? The goal would be
> to connect two layer 2 networks via a WPA protected wireless link.

No, there is not. This has come up before, but I haven't yet seen anyone
come up with a setup that would actually work. Please keep in mind that
IEEE 802.11 only allows stations that associate with an AP to send
frames with its own address as the source address. Layer 2 bridge is
thus not going to work very well. One would need to have some kind of
address translation for MAC addresses to make this work. Is this what
you are looking into doing?

It would be quite easy to add support for passing another interface to
wpa_supplicant to make this working and I can do it once someone shows
that they have something in mind that would actually work.