Hostap station mode active scan question

Sriram Chadalavada swenggsri
Fri Dec 29 16:45:25 PST 2006

Hi  everyone,
   We are trying to measure the Effective Isotropic Radiated Power(EIRP) of
few prism3 based compact flash wireless cards running on an embedded target
with hostap 0.3.8. For this purpose we need to have the cards transmitting
without being associated to an access point. Probe requests sent as part of
an active scan should be sufficient.

If I use the 'iwlist wlan0 scan' command, does the card firmware perform an
active scan with probe requests or does it simply perform a passive scan of
the values already obtained from AP beacons?

>From the hostap README, I came to know of the 'iwpriv wlan0 host_scan <x>'
command which performs an active scan. Does this work even in the default
firmware roaming mode?

Also, is there a way I can restrict the active scan to be performed only in
one channel at a time? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Sriram C.