wpa_supplicant in ad-hoc mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 24 08:15:04 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:31:48AM -0500, Val Schmidt wrote:

> I am interested in encrypting a long haul point-to-point-link that
> runs in ad-hoc mode. I've looked through the documentation for wpa-
> supplicant and it is not clear to me that wpa supplicant supports
> point-to-point links in ad-hoc mode. Is this true?

There is support for configuring a key for WPA-None case which a very
minimal adhoc mode version of using TKIP/CCMP encryption. However, this
is not very well supported mode (i.e., drivers do not support it) and
even the protocol design side is completely bogus as far as replay
protection is concerned. In other words, I cannot really recommend using
this.

At the moment, the easiest solution would likely be to change one of the
end-points to be in AP mode and the other one in client mode..