wpa_supplicant in ad hoc mode

Stefano Paris paris_ste_82
Wed Dec 20 08:19:05 PST 2006

Hi,

I tried to add the field frequency like you advise me, but when I started wpa_supplicant with the command wpa_supplicant -B -D madwifi -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, I got this error:
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
(the version of wpa_supplicant is 0.5.6)

Anyway, without the field frequency in the configuration file, I started iwconfig and the frequency was the same for every computer, such as key and cell.

Any other idea?

Thank a lot

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> ha scritto: On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 17:14 +0100, Stefano Paris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to connect 3 pc in ad hoc mode with the followed configuration
> file:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> ap_scan=2
> network={
>     ssid="ibss-test"
>     mode=1
>     proto=WPA
>     key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
>     pairwise=NONE
>     group=CCMP
>     psk="ibss-test-key"
> }
>
> I used madwifi driver .
>
> When I started wpa_supplicant just 2 pc could communicate, the other
> one remained out, even if the cell and the key were the same of the
> other pcs.
> The problem seems to be the same that Ly Hong posted at Jul 14 2006
> (wpa-supplicant for ad hoc network with more than 2 nodes).
>
> Has someone able to solve the problem?
>
> I thank anyone for any suggestion.

This could be highly driver dependent.  Without the 'frequency' setting
in your network config (added to 0.5.4 and later I think), the card may
not know which frequency to tune to.  You must have _all_ members of the
adhoc network on the _same_ frequency.

So, on each computer after configuring it with wpa_supplicant, run an
'iwconfig' and look for the frequency/channel #.  If they are all the
same, then we can rule out this issue.

I know that with ipw2200, you need to tell the card which channel to
join explicitly.

Dan

http://mail.yahoo.it