wpa_supllicant on Windows XP : stange DHCP behavior when using WEP

Yann Garcia yann.garcia
Tue Dec 19 00:00:34 PST 2006

Hello,

I use the version 0.5.6 of wpa_supplicant.

wpa_supplicant v0.5.6

Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> and contributors

In a first time, I also thought that it was about a problem of. But in this
case, it won?t work with WZC?

Thanks again for your help,

Best regards,

Yann

  _____

De : Jouni Malinen
Envoy? : vendredi 15 d?cembre 2006 19:49
? : Yann Garcia

Objet : RE: wpa_supllicant on Windows XP : stange DHCP behavior when using
WEP

Hi all,

> The Windows XP client uses wpa_supplicant to establish the connection.

Which version of wpa_supplicant are you using?

> * Without WEP, all works fine;
> * With WEP, the access point never receive the DHCP Discover request
> (tcpdump doesn't see any packet on the wlan0 interface) but (it's
strange!)
> I can see (ethereal on windows) the DHCP Discover packets sent on the
client
> interface. In the /var/log/messages, I can see that the association is
> established by hostapd.

Sounds like the driver did not understand how the WEP key was configured
or it dropped it for some reason.

  _____

De : Yann Garcia [mailto:yann.garcia at smartcom.com]
Envoy? : vendredi 15 d?cembre 2006 15:23
? : 'hostap at shmoo.com'
Objet : wpa_supllicant on Windows XP : stange DHCP behavior when using WEP

Hi all,

I?ve got a problem and I don?t really understand what happening. I want to
connect my Windows client (Netgear WG111v2) to my hotspot (WEP secured).

A Linux box with Hostapd/Chillispot/Radius works as an access point.

The Windows XP client uses wpa_supplicant to establish the connection.

Here is my problem:

*	Without WEP, all works fine;
*	With WEP, the access point never receive the DHCP Discover request
(tcpdump doesn?t see any packet on the wlan0 interface) but (it?s strange!)
I can see (ethereal on windows) the DHCP Discover packets sent on the client
interface. In the /var/log/messages, I can see that the association is
established by hostapd.

So I don?t really understand what happening.

The configuration seems to be ok because I can connect my client to the
hotspot (with WEP enable) using WZC.

Please anyone can help me?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Yann