wpa_supplicant fails and reports weird AP address in association

Sergio Callegari scallegari
Tue Dec 12 03:15:44 PST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to set up a wireless network including an Hamlet access
point and a Linux laptop with an intel 3945 wireless interface.

Everything is fine as long as I limit myself to WEP security.

If I try to use WPA security with wpa_supplicant, things stop working.

Precisely I am getting the following problem

running

    wpa_supplicant -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wext

with the following wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
        ssid="XXXXXXXXX"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="secure"
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
}

associates but immediately dies reporting that the 4-Way handshake
is failing and suggesting a wrong pre-shared key (which is not the case).

Curiously, I have noticed the following inconsistency:

1) my AP MAC address should be AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:30 as reported on the AP
web interface (only last byte is properly quoted here).

2) iwlist eth1 scan reports AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:33... i.e. the last byte is
different in 3 bits.

3) By cross checking with another host (a windows one, to make the
crosscheck more significant) I see that also the other host reports
AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:33 as the AP mac.

4) when wpa_supplicant reports association, it says it is associating
with AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:33...

5) however, the subsequent debug of the 4 way
handshake shows AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:30 as the AP address...

May this has anything to do with the failed handshake?

Some information that might be useful:

Linux kernel is the ubuntu version of 2.6.17 (generic, i.e. SMP) on a
CORE 2 duo (DELL D820 laptop).
wireless driver is ipw3945, kernel module version 1.1.0mp
wpa_supplicant is version 0.5.4

any idea?

Sergio