hostap (on madwifi) initalization problem

David shadoweyez
Fri Aug 18 09:29:02 PDT 2006

Hi all, first post here - I also posted this earlier to the madwifi mailing list

On debian stable (2.6.17.7 with appropriate wireless and hostap modules compiled
in), madwifi-0.9.2, hostap 0.5.4 (also tried with hostap 0.4.9) when I set up a
master-mode interface with madwifi and try to run hostap as an access point I get:

# wlanconfig ath0 destroy
# wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
# ./hostapd -dd /etc/hostap.conf
Configuration file: /etc/hostap.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0
Using interface ath0 with hwaddr 00:15:6d:50:10:e2 and ssid 'test_ap'
SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=20 WE(source)=13 enc_capa=0xf
Flushing old station entries
madwifi_sta_deauth: addr=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff reason_code=3
ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETMLME]: Invalid argument
Could not connect to kernel driver.
Deauthenticate all stations
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
madwifi_set_iface_flags: dev_up=0

Here is my hostap.conf:
interface=ath0
driver=madwifi
logger_syslog=-1
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=-1
logger_stdout_level=2
debug=0
dump_file=/tmp/hostapd.dump
ssid=test_ap
eapol_key_index_workaround=0
eap_server=0
own_ip_addr=127.0.0.1

I saw a similar problem referenced in madwifi ticket 552
http://madwifi.org/ticket/552) but there didn't seem to be a consensus on what
to do or who (madwifi or hostap) was at "fault".  I want to be able to run a
simple AP from a madwifi card - I'll set up encryption and other bells and
whistles later.  What can I do to get this to work?

TIA,
David