wpa_supplicant does not associate till it is restarted ?

Kel Modderman kelrin
Thu Aug 3 14:12:42 PDT 2006

Hi Thomas,

On Friday 04 August 2006 04:52, B Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian/Sarge with kernel 2.6.17, ipw3945
> (1.0.5), ipw3945d (1.7.19), ieee80211 (1.1.13) and
> wpasupplicant (0.5.4). I need to restart the wparoamd
> deamon every time I boot up my computer for wpa_supplicant
> to associate. No other change are required just this
> restart. Could you kindly help me pin point the problem.
> Also my office network takes a very long time (5 mins)
> to associate if at all) without the restart.

Your setup looks very specific to the debian scripts, it may be better off
discussing this on the pkg-wpa-devel mailing lists than making a lot of noise
here about it. Details at:

> Here is some information relating to my setup :
> /etc/networking/interfaces :
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> 	metric 1
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>         wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>         wpa-action /etc/wpa_supplicant/dhclient

Here you use ifupdown hooks to start wpa_supplicant, but below you also
describe that you start the old (deprecated) system service too. Looks like
you are very confused. Lets discuss this on the pkg-wpa-devel list. I've been
writing a lot of documentation to help clear things up.
	http://users.tpg.com.au/sigm/misc/README.txt

I cannot however speculate on problems related to ipw3945, its non-trivial to
install, imho, and I have not had first hand experience of that.

The fact that your platform is sarge is also a bit strange, how did you
install such a recent version of the wpasupplicant package for instance makes
me curious.

Thanks, Kel.