weird problem with hostap

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Apr 9 19:22:16 PDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 09:55:00PM -0400, borgit wrote:

> We are experiencing a strange problem with the hostAP drivers.  We have an
> ad-hoc network, which is assigned a specific ESSID using the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file under Red Hat 9.  Now, there
> is some other access point in the area that has another ESSID, and for some
> reason our cards running on the hostAP driver (version 0.4.7 and 0.3.7 was
> tried) always change their ESSID's to that of the access point.

Can you create a wireless capture log showing this behavior? I would
like to see correct Beacon frames from the card and then the AP enabled
while the capture is running so that the Beacon frames from the AP and
change in the SSID in the IBSS case is included in the same capture.

> If the ESSID on this Dlink access point is changed, the cards change their
> ESSID's to that of the Access Point.  So it is like they are tracking this
> one specific access point all the time.  Is there anything specific in the
> driver code that could cause this strange behavior to happen?  Why doesn't
> it happen with other access points?  Could it be a firmware issue?

Sounds more like a firmware issue thant something in the driver. Which
firmware version are you using?